Thursday, January 10, 2013

Blizzard

For living in the drier part of the province, we have had our fair share of snow this year.

I like snow. Especially when it falls straight down, and stays there! The problem is when the wind starts whipping it about and making drifts.
We have cleared the farm yards a few times this year, but tomorrow might be a massive dig-out operation.
Since New Years we have been blessed with mild weather, -2 to +2 range during the day. But today (Thursday Jan 10) we had a blizzard warning.
The wind and snow started early and I was out as soon as it was light to go start tractors and put out feed. First I put out 4 bales for the sheep and goats - that's 4 days worth of feed. Normally we roll the bales out, but I decided to leave them standing and just take the strings off. The wind was so strong that I knew it would either
A) roll the swaths away into the fence, or
B) bury them under snow in no time.

Easier to leave the bales standing - they provide a bit of a wind-break and makes it easier for the animals to find the feed. I placed the bales as close to the corrals as I could.
Next I headed down to Larry's farm as he is away trucking, where I fed the cows and the calves. Normally I would get oats for the calves and the goats, but the track to the bin was blown in and no point clearing it - it will be blown in again by tomorrow, so I left.
The wind picked up during the day and when I went out at 4pm for my evening check at the goat ranch, visibility was poor and snow was drifting everywhere. The horses and most of the sheep were out eating. The goats and some sheep were in the barn. I topped up the mineral feeder and forked some hay into the barn. The goats are wimps and would rather starve than go out in a blizzard to eat. Mind you, the wind whipping the snow feels like little needles hitting my face, so I don't blame them. I forked in as much as I could, and gave Remus a big bowl of food. Who knows, I might not be able to get in tomorrow, or at the very least get in late.

I keep a few doelings and a few critters that need some extra care in the old shop. The drift in front of their door was already waist high on me. I shoveled a bit away from the door and made sure they had enough feed, and fed the cat. In the shop and the barn, away from the wind, it is nice and warm even though the buildings are not insulated.
I came home to my own supper. The wind is still howling and snow drifting on Main Street looked not promising.
The laying hens peeked out through their little pop door but refused to come out. I scattered a few handfuls of grain in their bedding for them to scratch up and closed the door for the night.

We will see what havoc tomorrow brings!

My well cover - there's 2 ft of snow around it already

The fence has quite a bit of snow

a drift in the corral. Remus likes the vintage spot. I see him up on the drift from time to time

Another view of drifts

Nice drift with Remus paw prints

Just another day on the beach :) not. 


1 comment:

  1. HAHA I will love to see what tomorrow brings out here... I milked the cow dry tonight in preparation for a long, long process of digging out in the morning! R

    ReplyDelete