Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fall work

There seems to be more work left at the end of my day. I would like to have more day left at the end of my work! Be that as it may, this Fall has been a busy time. After building the fence for the new pasture for the goats and sheep, I set about planning a shelter for them as there is no natural shelter in that pasture.
I have seen buildings made out of shipping pallets and I had experimented with a small shelter for my bucks and rams, so I decided to build a shipping pallet shelter. For a few months now I have been collecting same size pallets at the co-op where I work. Finally I had 18 matched pallets and I went to work.

I also needed roof joists - so I decided to reclaim some lumber from a fallen down cattle shelter in my corral. The rafters of the cattle shelter would provide lumber long enough to make roof joists. So I went to work dismantling the rafters - which was quite hard


The rafters of the old cattle shelter

a small pile of lumber from a few rafters


I bolted the pallets together. Here are some goats enjoying the wind break on Tuesday evening before the wind storm


The shelter blocked, leveled, and with 2 joists up. 
I still need to finish the front beam, and put up the rest of the joists and then strap them and put old salvaged tin on for a roof. All in all it cost me about $37 in bolts, joist hangers, nails and screws. The shelter is 11x29 feet. It was fairly hard work as the pallets are heavy. I would load 5 in my truck, drive up to the pasture gate, drop them off and drag them into position, then go back for 5 more. The recycled joists had to be carried up the hill. It was a good workout! And fun to build. I hope to finish it this Fall but at least for now the sheep can use it as a windbreak

Storm clouds brewing. 


The goats on the east side of the shelter Tuesday night. The wind was picking up.
Remus the guard dog on the hill. He is 6 months old now. 


My next Fall project is to finish winterizing my well. The well is the winter water source for my animals. The water table is quite high where the well is, so the water is about 5 ft from the surface... which is not good. 8 feet would guarantee it doesn't freeze but at 5 feet last year there was significant ice in the well - and it wasnt a particularly cold winter. So I am building an insulated box with a tight fitting insulated lid to go over the well casing and hopefully provide enough protection to avoid my pump freezing up. More on that in the next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment