Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grandma Llama

I wrote about acquiring a llama by the name of Jewel a while back.

Jewel integrated nicely into the flock, but I didnt know how precious she could be until the kids began arriving. Goat kids, that is!

The first set of twins were born on pasture, and while the sheep had gone for water and the goats were lounging in their shed, Jewel stayed with the new mom and her babies. She hummed to them, sniffed them and seemed quite concerned when I picked one up.

Since then, as the kids started coming, Jewel has been looking out for them. A kid will follow its mom out to pasture, fall asleep and miss the herd returning to their loafing shed. But Jewel would be there, comforting the baby. I walked out a couple nights ago to ensure everything is tucked in, and Jewel showed me there was still a kid out in the pasture.
Early this morning, I snapped this photo of Jewel with 4 young kids in the pasture:


And here, Jewel is checking out new arrivals on Earth Day Sunday with mom in close attendance

Jewel making friends

What an amazingly gentle soul. 




1 comment:

  1. I love llamas so much! They are the cutest and this just makes me love them even more :) Thanks Liezel!

    ReplyDelete